09 May 2018

Port Be Gone!!

Today, I got my chemo port removed.  This was the last physical remnant of all the chemo.  They just cut me open (with local anesthesia) and yanked it out. 

Not to gross anyone out, but this is what was in me:


Every time I got a chemo infusion, or needed blood drawn, or needed anesthesia, they'd just poke it right there in the center and it would go straight into my veins.

When the surgeon (same guy who cut off my boobs) yanked it out, he said "well you had a purple heart, but now I'm taking it away".  No really, it was all in good humor, so it was OK. 

Because we've shared so much the past year an a half, I'll show you the scar from taking the port out:



Yep, that's it.  I'm done.  Of course, since the port came out, that probably means the cancer will come back STAT.  But, the surgeon did say it was no trouble to put it back in, so I think that balances things. 

I am now FREE of all things cancer.  Woohoooooo!  Bring on the retirement celebrations!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment