31 May 2018

The End

This blog was born in July 2010 to document my crazy-ass midlife crisis/adventure in the U.S. Army (the first post aptly being titled "WTF?").  It then morphed into reporting on my war with cancer, while still serving in the Army.   Today, the Next Little Adventure ends.  I have been medically retired from the Army, and its time to start the next chapter of this precious thing called life. 

The past two months have been a whirlwind - finishing up my medical treatment, attending all the required transition briefings, filling out forms about forms to request a form to fill out the required form, returning all my Army gear, celebrating my 48th birthday, getting the RV organized, and planning a party to celebrate my promotion and retirement.  

Leaving the Army is bittersweet.  On one hand, I'm so excited to be going off on this adventure with Doug.  On the other, I was just promoted to MAJ, and with that would have come the opportunity to lead groups of junior officers and senior NCOs.  It feels a little bit like I let cancer win because I didn't fight back against the Army's decision to medically retire me.  But I knew that physically, I'd never be able to keep up with my Soldiers, and I absolutely did not want to be one of those officers!  I also came face-to-face with the truth that every minute of life is precious, and I didn't want to spend another one of those minutes away from what I love most:  my pack.  

I'll be working part time while we are on the road, teaching two online undergrad courses for my alma mater, State University of New York at Oswego.  I can do that any time of day, from anywhere that I have internet access, so its a pretty sweet deal.  Oh, and I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than I ever enjoyed my work as an attorney!  

Here's some pictures from all the celebrations the past month.  

With my two favorite ladies in the JAG Corps and Doug after the ceremony.

With two of my JAGC mentors - LTC (Ret.) Frank Rosenblatt and LTC Keirsten Kennedy.

LTC Lisa Satterfield and LTC Keirsten Kennedy - phenomenal leaders and forever friends. 

"Attention to Orders" - making my promotion official.

Doug replacing my CPT shoulder boards with MAJ rank.
Recognizing Doug for his contributions to the Army as a spouse.


Celebrating with James & Brookes, who came to San Antonio for the festivities.

Birthday cocktails - 48 years young!

So now my Army adventure is finished.   It was an amazing adventure and I have zero regrets.  Now I am a retiree with a DD214, no deadlines, no BlackBerry, and no more Sunday-night dread.  Doug always said "retirement is about 'want to' not 'have to'".  That's us now.  We'll be documenting our new adventures over at the Nomadic Norvells blog - follow our adventures there! 

MAJ (Ret.) Jennifer Norvell.  Out.    

No comments:

Post a Comment