25 July 2010

Zero Day and the Agony of Defeat

I debated whether or not I would even share this little escapade here, but then decided that you all deserved a good chuckle at my expense.  Yesterday morning, I attempted to keep up with the 20-somethings.  Needless to say, this old girl got smoked.  

For each JAOBC class, the JAG school funds 10 slots at Airborne school and 5 slots at Air Assault school.   These are coveted slots because lots of people want to learn how to jump out of airplanes/helicopters and there just isn't enough money to send everyone who wants to go (especially lawyers, who don't really need to know how to jump out of airplanes or helicopters).  To even be considered for one of these slots in September, you have to do extra PT all summer long so that the cadre are confident that, if they spend the money to send you to school, you will actually be able to physically complete the school (and not embarrass the JAG Corps).  Over the years, cadre have come up with a few ways of eliminating the enthusiastic but weak.  The ominous-sounding Zero Day is the first step in that elimination process.  For some ungodly reason, I decided to compete for a slot.    

It all started at 0500 (yes, that's a.m. on a SATURDAY), and about 40 of us reported to the PT field wearing our ACU's, kevlar helmets, and boots, and carrying one small canteen of water.  The weather, even that early, was about 85 degrees with what felt like 100% humidity.....the air was so thick it felt like you could literally drink it.  And despite what they look like on TV, those ACU's are damned hot.  Long pants & long sleeves made entirely out of heavy, fire-retardant, non-breathable fabric.  Oh, and Kevlar helmets aren't all that "breathable" either.  I was seriously missing my fancy-schmancy technical North Face/EMS/REI gear and camelback!!

First Sergeant started barking the orders, and everyone was well aware that any appearance of taking a rest, or any deficiency in form, would get you an invitation to go back to bed.   I survived the muscle-stuff with no problem - 125 overhead arm claps (when counted in cadence is actually 250); push ups; small arm circles; more claps; more push ups.  I actually was lulled into thinking "hey, this isn't all that bad .... I can keep up with the young pups!".  Then the sprinting started.  Up the hill.  This body doesn't sprint, and it certainly does NOT sprint UP a hill wearing BOOTS.  But, hey, I kept up for the first two sprints and gladly returned to formation for more push ups.  Watched two guys get politely "invited to return to bed".  Then 1SGT turned it over to the Chief Warrant Officer, who was ruthless.  She made us do walking lunges to the bottom of the steep hill (about 50 meters away) and then sprint up the hill, back down the hill and back to formation, and do it again.  Never has the word "GO!" (shouted from a 5-ft tall really nice woman no less) ever sounded so awful.  I was completely soaked through and getting lightheaded.  I really needed water.  Unfortunately, the water "break" was 10-seconds long and if you were not one of the first few people to return from the sprint, you missed the water break.  I missed the water break.  Twice.  Then we dropped for flutter kicks and air cycles.  That felt fantastic ..... until Chief screamed "GO!" and it was sprinting up that damned hill again.  Coming down the hill that time, I got very wobbly and for the first time really felt fear that I was going to black out.  That's when my common sense kicked in and I tapped out.  (Some say I quit.  Whatever.  I simply made a choice to leave on my own two feet, not a stretcher).  My decision to tap out was met with a simple "hooah" from both 1SGT and Chief, and I walked (a little wobbly) back to the hotel room with my tail between my legs.  After a brief pity party, some kisses from the puppies, and a pep talk from Doug, we were on our way to go mountain biking.  Who needs to jump out of airplanes anyway?

I lasted only 30 minutes.  Zero Day continued on for an hour after I left, and continued with the relentless hill sprints, even after the sun came up.  I may be in pretty good shape for my age, but hell, I certainly cannot compete with the 20-somethings who finished Zero Day yesterday and earned a spot in the Airborne/Air Assault training program.  I'm glad I tried it, though - it was certainly a humbling experience and reminded me that I still have a lot of work to do before moving on to DCC at Benning.  

     


1 comment: