22 January 2017

Hair Watch, Day 3

There's this weird little milestone after starting chemo - when does my hair fall out?  Some people freak out about it, but I'm like "bring it on already!!" .... because every milestone gets me closer to declaring victory in this war (and, um, I'm gonna save a boatload on shampoo and razors!!)

Science says it should happen between week 2 and week 3 A.C.  (If you're curious about the why, there's a good explanation here).  

Thursday, I woke up and my scalp was on fire.  Like someone had taken a cheese grater and rubbed it all over my head while I was sleeping.  Then the itching started.  I looked like a dog with fleas.  Friday was the magical 2-week-A.C. mark, so my scalp was right on schedule.  

I itched and scratched my way through Friday (and another chemo infusion).  I stood in the shower staring at my shampoo-suds filled hands Friday night, expecting to see gobs of hair  ..... but nothing.  I studied my pillow Saturday morning and found a bunch of hair ...... but upon closer examination realized it was much longer than mine and white, which meant that either the dogs snuggled on my pillow or Doug had taken an older mistress with flowing white hair.  

Today, the fleas are worse and when I scratch, my hands come out with a pretty good amount of hair on them.  Once it starts coming out in clumps, I'll go for the G.I. Jane look, but I'm hanging on until then.

In other news, my friends are f**king awesome - look at my new scarf! I can't wait to wear it to the hospital next week!!!

 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment